The Essex Walking Football League has teamed up with Age UK Essex to hold an annual charity tournament. The crystal trophy being kindly donated by Mr. Derek Murr. NB: The Rules Committee reserves the right to change the format of this event each season. Essentially this tournament is ‘taster’ for non-EWFL clubs/teams to get together with EWFL clubs/teams.
The Rules Of The Charitable Trophy Competition
- All matches will be played under the Essex Walking Football League rules. These are based on the FA’s original LOTG template and our competition rules have been adjusted to ensure that no physical contact is made in order to win the ball or gain an advantage without taking the ball cleanly and thereby ensuring all game play is fair.
- A club can enter teams of NINE players.
- Each team/club can contain 3 over 50’s players but under 60, the rest of the squad need to be over 60’s players. We want to make this inclusive as possible for all ages. The tournament principles are based on fair play and obviously this includes the physicality of the players.
- All proceeds inc. entry fees (less matchday fees) from the event are to be donated to Age UK Essex. The competition entry fee must be made by bank transfer to the club organising the event no later than 7 days before the event. All clubs can make further donations to Age UK Essex on the day. NB: All donations and competition entry fees (less matchday fees) will be donated to Age UK Essex after the competition. The competition is also open to non-EWFL clubs. The Rules Committee reserves the right to change the format of this event each season.
The format of the tournament is as follows:
- All pitches and venues are to be compliant with EWFL Rules.
- A team shall be NINE players.
- Each team/club can contain 3 over 50’s players but under 60, the rest of the squad need to be over 60’s players and the starting line up is to be two from each age group.
- The competition is open to all EWFL clubs/teams and non-EWFL clubs/teams residing in the County of Essex.
- The initial stages of the competition are to be a series of ’round-robin’ games based upon a mini-league ‘group’ round-robin’ stages format.
- There is to be six players on each team on the field of play plus a maximum of three (‘ro-ro’) substitutes.
- Each game will be played with a minimum game time of 15 minutes in length or a maximum of 20 minutes in length.
- There will be at least one Referee per pitch.
- At the round-robin mini-league ‘group’ stage there will be three points for a win and one point for a draw.
- The winners (and runners-up**) of each mini-league will go through to a knockout stage.
- Should there be situation where two teams have equal points at the end of the ’round-robin’ stage, either as a potential winner or runners-up, the team with the highest goals scored will go through to the semi-final or quarter-final knockout stage.
- Should it still be equal on goals scored, the winner will go through on the largest goal difference.
- Should it still be equal on goal difference the winner will go through on a toss of a coin.
- The winners (and runners-up**) of each mini-league are to play in a knock out quarter-final or semi-final stage.
- The winners of each semi-final will play each other to contest for the Age UK Essex Charitable Trophy.
- Should any game in the semi-finals or final be a draw at the end of normal time the teams are to take a series of at least five penalties each to decide a winner.
- The winner of the trophy (and its presentation box) is to retain it for one year and it is to be returned to the EWFL when requested before the next Charitable Trophy tournament the following year.
** Being dependant on amount of teams the competition.
The registered charity details for Age UK Essex are: Registered charity number 1091058. Company number 4309519. Registered in England & Wales ® Age UK Essex 2018.